Sunday, February 12

The haunted radish

The churchwarden's wife, in condition was said
To beg of her husband, to make her a bed
With an harvest of radish, too early in spring
When other town folk, would not see such a thing
'Dear Ann' he replied, 'Shall be done in a trice'
With soil from the graves, that I feel shall be nice
I shall dig it at midnight, for fear of the clowns
That may vex me and tease me, with most terrible frowns
So the seeds that he brought, became seeds that he sowed
And within a short time, several radish he grow'd
And the scores of the table, were very soon brought
And his Madam selected, the finest she thought
So with mouth wide open, and taste did regale
The radish screamed out, 'Please don't bite off my tail'
'The top of my legs, and arms I bewail,
But Please Madame Ann, 'don't dare bite off my tail'
To the sextons house go, and the rest of me lie
I beg of you please, that my tail be near by
Then the radish stopped speaking, and it vanished from sight
leaving the warden and wife, near half dead by the fright
The soil was returned, and the souls laid to to rest
And the church warden hailed,  'To be honest is best'

Information

This poem is loosely based around a churchyard legend from Leek in the Staffordshire moorlands. It tells of a Church warden called Robert Emerson who was accused of using soil from the graveyard as compost to grow vegetables for his wife Ann.

Unfortunately for the unlucky couple the finest radish of the crop was haunted by the soul of the deceased from where it was taken, and it was said to have spoken out and plea for it to be re-buried from where it had been taken from. This tale was apparently written down by either Eli Cope or Alfred Fynney shortly after his death at the age of 56 in 1820. The gravestone can be seen in the graveyard of St Edwards in Leek.

It is to be included in my new book North staffs legends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for contacting Little Boy Lost

Poetry from Stoke On Trent. The various verses within this blog explore my changing reality and mood swings. Verses that meander around domestic violence, self harm and mania, then return to enjoy happier thoughts and emotions from my childhood and the local area and its fantastic history and heritage. This is truly subversive and thought provoking literature from the heart of England that will live with you forever.

Friends